Tuesday, June 13, 2006

My First Triathlon

(Sorry to regular readers whom I've already talked to about the triathlon. I know that most of you would only care if I actually did something impressive, like scale Everest on a pogo stick while singing "The Sound of Music".)

My first triathlon (andTim) was about a week and half ago, and altogether it went well. It was a small triathlon in Grapevine, TX with only about 100 participants. Due to my estimated swim time I was given #17, which scared me due to swimming being my weakest of the 3 disciplines. With a big "yee-haw" I entered the pool and proceeded to pass 2 people. Feelin' good at this point. My transition to the bike was slow, but I think I've got it figured out for my next race. No socks, and pre-clip shoes to bike. That way you are at least moving while putting on your shoes instead of standing still.

The bike was going well, I passed two more people and was doing pretty well stamina-wise even though the course had a lot more elevation changes than I was used to. At one point I'm cruising along when I hear a race official ahead of me yell out, "Minute Twenty behind the leader, Minute Twenty!" I don't know how to react. I'm somewhat excited because I'm near the front, but maybe I had just burned up all of my energy at this point and I was going to die during the run. Anyway, I lean over the aerobars and put my head down and proceed to fly right through the turn. About .5-.6 miles later I realize.. there is no one around, and I don't think this is right. Upon turning around and trucking back to the turn I hear apologizing, "I tried to yell at you, I tried!" from said race official. At this point I am both pissed off and a bit winded.

I finish the bike and head out on my run, which suprisingly went well. 6:52 pace. Rockin. Overall I end up in 24th place, which could have easily been 10-14th places without the extra mile plus of biking. I am already pretty pumped about my next triathlon as my next phase of training started yesterday. Ironman here I come.

1 Comments:

At 6/13/2006 06:27:00 PM, Blogger Tawn said...

YAY FOR YOU!
I have my first (sprint) Tri this Sat.
Congratulations!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home