Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Questionable Behaviour at Galas

So-
This past weekend I attended the South Texas College of Law Annual Alumni Gala in downtown Houston. (If there is a longer title for an event, let me know.) It was somewhat interesting- 750 lawyers in one room- Dan Rather as an emcee, old honorees, etc. Well, the interesting part was- this was a $250/plate dinner. (I went with my friend from church, Mary Pate.) So we get our salad, which is quite the inadequate portion. Then we get our next course- filet mignon, crab cakes, a (1) shrimp, mashed potatoes, and asparagus. Not bad. Unfortunately, I was still quite hungry after my dinner. So... I asked for another. The waitress at first looked at me in a very strange way, to which I smiled, and she goes- "Alright, I'll see what I can do." Plate #2 in under 5 minutes. Awesome. Every guy at the table starts saying, "Man, that was a great idea"... etc, etc.
Very cool.

Later on we were waiting on the Valet to bring cars around, when I see 3 high school guys trying to get a cab. They were wearing shorts and t-shirts and enjoying themselves, but you could tell they were out of place amidst all of us in our tuxes. Come to find out they were gymnasts in town for a national meet. Of course, I feel obligated to reminisce about my past as a competitive gymnast. Of course, there was no way for me to back my claims at this point. So I encourage them to do standing back-flips with me. In their state of disbelief, they go along with it.. 1,2,3, backflips. We commence high fiving- as the lawyers around look stunned that I would dare backflip with 3 adolescences in a tuxedo after the Gala. Surely, this was a good evening as "that dude was tight!" was overheard while getting into the car.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home